From cardboard to fully detailed prop, here is a photo collection chronicling the development of an Arc Reactor.
Short Demo Video:
Bonus Halloween Pic:
This is an old post that I wanted to resurrect here on this blog. I will show how I connected 3 servos to a Raspberry Pi for my Stereoscopic Camera Gimbal.
In the previous demo videos of the gimbal, I was using a separate platform (PIC32) to operate the servos. To consolidate resources, and simplify design, I wanted to transfer the servo operation to one of the Raspberry Pis already on the gimbal.
A few months ago, I experimented with using the Raspberry Pi’s IO pins to run servos. The code I put together for that can be seen HERE. I’m using IO pins 4, 17, and 18 to operate the X, Y, and Z axis servos, respectively. I used protoboard to create a simple breakout board between the Raspberry Pi and the servos. External power was used for the servos. Here is the initial design sketch I put together:
In the final design, I decided to add a power LED and status LEDs for each of the servo channels. I also flipped the servo connectors as compared to the above sketch. Here is the finished board with everything connected:
Right now the software is converting the tracking position for each servo into an 8-bit value to transport from the Oculus Rift to the Raspberry Pi. The result of this is somewhat choppy motion in the servos, so I will be switching to use 16-bit values next time I touch the software. Besides that, it’s working well and I’m very happy with the result. The next step is to figure out how to mount this breakout board to the gimbal.
I’ve received a few requests for this, so I have compiled a detailed parts list for my 3D Gimbal. That list is below, followed by some detailed photos to help anyone who would like to recreate this project. I was hoping to include some build instructions, but unfortunately my constant barrage of deadlines hasn’t let up so I won’t have time. I’ve tried to double check and verify all information here but inevitably there are probably mistakes.
|Qty||Part Name and Link|
|1||Direct drive servo 6 inch cradle tilt (Hitec)|
|1||¼ inch ball bearing quad pillow block|
|4||¼ inch bore set screw hub|
|2||¼ inch bore flat bearing mount|
|1||¼ inch x 2.25 inch D-Shaft|
|1||¼ inch x 1.5 inch D-Shaft|
|1||3/8 inch x 4 inch precision shaft|
|1||3/8 inch bore thrust washer|
|1||2 inch smooth hub pulley|
|1||1 inch smooth hub pulley|
|2||9 inch aluminum channel|
|1||3 inch aluminum channel|
|1||90 degree hub to hub mount|
|1||4.5 inch 1/8 " smooth belt|
|4||Large square screw plate|
|4||3/8 inch bore clamping hub|
|1||3/8 inch spacers|
|1||3/8 inch ball bearing quad pillow block|
|1||3/8 inch bore flat bearing mount|
|1||90 degree dual side mount B|
|1||Standard servo plate B|
|1||Standard servo plate C|
|1||Round base A|
|1||64T, 32 P, ½ inch bore aluminum gear|
|1||32T, 32P metal servo gear (Hitec)|
|2||90 degree quad hub mount D|
|1||Servo set screw shaft coupler (Hitec)|
|Screws found here: Link|
|12||6-32x1/4 inch Socket Head Machine Cap Screw|
|24||6-32x5/16 inch Socket Head Machine Cap Screw|
|16||6-32x3/8 inch Socket Head Machine Cap Screw|
|48||6-32x1/2 inch Socket Head Machine Cap Screw|
The estimated cost including 2 Raspberry Pis and cameras is $500 – $550.
Here are my detailed build photos along with some commentary (click for larger):
Complete Without Electronics
Complete With Electronics